Thursday, September 15, 2011

Learning and Friendship with Bloggers


I am not much of a joiner, and prefer to socialize and work in small groups. So last year when I was invited not only to attend, but to present to the Third Annual Latin American Bloggers Conference, I didn't immediately jump at the chance.

However I went. I had a great time, learned a lot, and formed some new friendships.


All interested persons are invited to attend the fourth installment of this event, which in the past has attracted people from all around the Yucatán Peninsula, other parts of Mexico, Canada and the United States.

The meeting takes place in Mérida, Yucatán on Saturday, Nov. 5. The main session begins at 9:30AM and will run until about 6:00PM, with lunch scheduled from 2:00 to 4:00. Optional social events are scheduled Friday and Saturday nights.

The agenda includes presentations and roundtables on various aspects of blogging, and special sessions for those working in Blogger or Wordpress.

There is no cost to participants. The event is run by volunteers and the venue and technical support is lent or donated.

The Mérida area has a lot to offer out-of-town conference participants who choose to make a long weekend or vacation out of their visit. A variety of music and cultural events, great food, archaeological sites, museums and beaches are all easy to come by around here. Comfortable, reasonably-priced accommodations are plentiful near the conference site in the heart of Mérida's centro historico.

You can view the conference blog here, and email your reservation or ask questions at the email link on the blog or at:

latambloginfo@gmail.com


I hope to see many of you there.

5 comments:

  1. Last year was my first time ever attending a blogging conference. I'm an avid reader of Merida blogs, and grateful to all who write and post comments. My contributions in the genre are still meagre, but I had written several posts for travelblog[dot]org about Merida, the year prior; so I felt "qualified" to attend. And I'm glad I did.

    I'm also glad you stepped up, Marc, to put on that fine presentation on photography for bloggers. Your words were encouraging, your tone was inviting, and your images said it all, by showing us what could be done.

    Today digital photography has removed so many of the old challenges that previously attached to the medium. Anybody who cares to look around can now make decent images easily. And you sent us all forth. Bravo.

    ~eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish I'd been there, Eric! I'd love to have heard Marc's thoughts on photography.

    But let me add a tiny qualification--yes, digital photography makes so much "easy." But many of us who used to like to focus on a particular part of a scene, not the automatically selected X , and then adjust the depth of field, are possibly still struggling. I sure am. As a friend of mine said, it's like learning how to use a computer. And then there are all the variables involved in computer adjustments. Sometimes, I still yearn for the time when film and it's processing were easily found. I even have the nostalgia for the Polaroid! No sooner did I become "addicted" to the process then called " SX-70 manipulation," than the Polaroid and SX70 film packs did a virtual disappearance. Technology enhances, but it also discourages.

    I suspect I'm just using Marc's blog for my own "gripe," but so be it….

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~eric, thank you for your fine compliment. That means a lot coming from a professional. I look forward to seeing you here sometime soon.

    Alinde, I completely understand where you're coming from. I (like my friend Eric) started well back in the film days, and it took me quite awhile to get used to digital photography. I still don't possess the technical skill in the digital medium that I did in old-fashioned film photography. However, it's doable, and rewarding. I hope you stick with it. And, you can attend the blogger's conference. We'll have another presentation on photography for blogs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I was invited this year, I won't be going. Last year, I offered to give a workshop about how being a blogger changes your life. My offer was refused. I was told by "the committee" that this was because my blog was considered to be "too controversial." Check it out. www.gorbman.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beryl, I wasn't involved last year until the conference started. I'd heard you were coming, and because I hadn't yet met you, I was disappointed when you didn't show. I'm sorry it's worked out like this. I do look forward to seeing you soon here in Merida.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments, but will delete comments that are rude, offensive or off topic. Unfortunately, due to the heavy volume of spam, comment moderation has been enabled. I will try to approve comments promptly, but your patience is appreciated.
If you have technical trouble leaving your comment, please email it to:
marc_olson@hotmail.com
and I will post it for you.

Powered By Blogger